Andrew Lloyd Webber Biography
Andrew Lloyd Webber (age 73) is a British composer and impresario of musical theatre who is famous and critically acclaimed for his musicals which have featured on Broadway and West End. The Cats composer first composed a suite of six pieces at the age of nine. Some of his notable works include Evita, The Phantom of the Opera, Jesus Christ Superstar, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and School of Rock.
Andrew Lloyd Webber Age
He was born on March 22, 1948, in Kensington, London, England. Andrew is 73 years of age as of 2021 and will turn 74 come March 22, 2022. He celebrates his birthday on March 22 and is a member of the zodiac/ star sign Aries.
Andrew Lloyd Webber Musicals
- Andrew worked on the musical Westonia! In 1963 before he got a letter from Tim Rice to write on different musicals. Lloyd and Tim Rice first collaborated on the musical The Likes of Us which was publicly performed in 2005. Alan Doggett was an admirer of Tim and Andrew’s work thus he asked the duo to write for the Colet Court school choir.
- They wrote Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat which was made into a stage musical in 1972. The duo also wrote Jesus Christ Superstar before Andrew partnered with Alan Ayckbourn to write the musical Jeeves. He also wrote the song Don’t Cry for Me Argentina which topped the UK Singles Chart
- Prince Edward contracted the prolific duo of Lloyd Webber and Rice to write a musical for Queen Elizabeth II’s 60th birthday. The team composed the musical Cricket for Queen Elizabeth II and used songs from Aspects of Love and Sunset Boulevard. Andrew also wrote the third longest-running musical in the West End The Phantom of the Opera which premiered in 1986.
- Additionally, Andrew has worked with Black to write the songs Amigos Para Siempre — Friends for Life and Sunset Boulevard. However, they collaborated with Christopher Hampton on the musical Sunset Boulevard, played at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics, and won seven Tony Awards.
- Andrew’s upcoming musical comedy Cinderella was expected to open in August 2020. However, due to the covid pandemic, Cinderella premiered in April 2021 at the Gillian Lynne Theatre, London. Cinderella is a reinvention of the fairy tale Cinderella based on Emerald Fennell’s idea.
- Lloyd Webber has written more than 20 musicals that have played on Broadway and West End. Some of his musicals like The Phantom of the Opera, Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita, and cats have been adapted into movies and films. The musical cats are currently the fourth-longest-running Broadway show and the sixth-longest-running West End show.
- Some of Andrew’s successful musicals include The Music Of The Night, All I Ask of You, The Phantom of the Opera, and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
- Moreover, most of the lyrics in the musical cats were adapted from Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats. Andrew started writing music for Cats in late 1977. His memoir Unmasked was released in 2018. Additionally, The Show Must Go On has featured some of Andrew’s musicals and documented his fight for theatre reopening during the covid pandemic.
Andrew Lloyd Education
Lloyd pursued a college degree in musical theatre from the Royal College of Music. Additionally, he is an alumnus of Magdalen College, Oxford. He also went to Eric Gilder School of Music as a part-time student in 1963.
Andrew Lloyd Webber Family
William Lloyd Webber (father) and Jean Hermione Johnstone (mother) born their son Lloyd and bred him in Kensington, UK. Webber’s family belongs to the white ethnicity. His father worked as an organist and composer whereas his mother worked as a pianist and violinist. Andrew spent most of his young years in Kensington, the UK alongside his sibling Julian Lloyd.
His younger brother Julian is a solo cellist, conductor, and broadcaster. Lloyd’s aunt Viola is also an actress who always carried Andrew to accompany her to her shows.
Andrew Lloyd Webber Wife
Andrew is presently enjoying his marriage life alongside his third wife Madeleine Gurdon. The couple got hitched in Westminster on 9 February 1991 in a glamorous wedding ceremony. The beautiful couple is proud parents of three children; Alastair Adam Lloyd Webber, William Richard Lloyd Webber, and Isabella Aurora Lloyd Webber. Webber’s family lives in Sydmonton Court, Hampshire.
Additionally, the adorable couple founded the Watership Down Stud in 1992 and owns the Kiltinan Castle Stud. Lloyd’s lovely wife Madeleine is a former equestrian sportswoman.
He was first married to Sarah Hugill. The former couple tied the knot on July 24, 1971, and share two children; Imogen Lloyd Webber and Nicholas Lloyd Webber. However, Lloyd and Sarah finalized their divorce on 14 November 1983.
Nevertheless, Lloyd’s search for true love did not come to an end with this divorce, soon after he started dating Sarah Brightman who performed in cats. The two love birds exchanged their vows in Hampshire on 22 March 1984. During their marriage, the couple received a lot of criticism from the media and paparazzi. Additionally, Andrew included Brightman in some of his musicals like The Phantom of the Opera.
However, the couple had an amicable divorce on January 3, 1990.
Andrew Lloyd Webber Children
Andrew has five children from his three marriages. He has two kids from his first marriage with Sarah Hugill; Imogen Lloyd Webber who was born on 31 March 1977 and Nicholas Lloyd Webber who was born on 2 July 1979. Imogen is a broadcaster and author while Nicholas is a music composer and record producer famous for scoring the BBC 1 drama Love, Lies and Records.
He has three children from his current marriage with Madeleine Gurdon; Alastair Adam Lloyd Webber, William Richard Lloyd Webber, and Isabella Aurora Lloyd Webber. Alastair was born on 3 May 1992, Richard was born on 24 August 1993 while their daughter Isabella was born on 30 April 1996.
Andrew Lloyd Net Worth
Andrew Lloyd Webber Net Worth is around a stupendous $1.2 billion in 2021. He has accumulated most of his wealth and riches from his career as a composer and impresario of musical theatre. This is per our reliable sources at Celebrity Net Worth.
Andrew Lloyd Webber Height
Andrew measures 5’ 9”/ 1.75 m in height. Moreover, his hair color is Dark Brown and his eye color is Brown.
Andrew Lloyd Webber Awards
- 1 Academy Award
- Golden Globes
- 4 Grammy Awards
- 8 Tony Awards
- 8 Olivier Awards
- 1 Emmy Award
- Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame