Gloria Steinem Biography
Gloria Steinem (age 88) is an American feminist journalist, author, and social-political activist. She is widely popular as a leader and a spokeswoman for the American Feminist Movement in the 1960s and 1970s era. The Ohio native began her journey to being a celebrated journalist as a freelance writer in New York.
Gloria Steinem Age
She was born on March 24, 1934, in Toledo, Ohio. Steinem is 88 years of age as of 2022 and will turn 89 come March 24, 2023. She celebrates her birthday on March 24 and is a member of the zodiac/ star sign Aries.
Gloria Steinem Journalism Career
- Gloria is an American women’s activist writer and a social-political extremist. She earned public respect as a pioneer and a representative for the American women’s activist development in the last part of the 1960s and mid 1970s.
- Gloria started her expert vocation venture as a writer in New York, where she composed independent pieces for different distributions. At that point, Gloria says that ladies were not given plumb tasks and that the men ran the newsrooms.
- During the time ladies were to a great extent consigned to secretarial and in the background research jobs. Gloria’s initial articles were then alluded to as “the ladies’ pages.” When Gloria once proposed composing political stories for The New York Times Sunday Magazine, her supervisor told her that he’d never seen her composing such articles.
- Be that as it may, Steinem pushed on and kept looking for more significant social and political detailing tasks. She laid out New York magazine in 1968, where she turned into a manager and political author. While there, she composed on political missions and moderate social issues, including the ladies’ freedom development.
- She additionally united with columnists Patricia Carbine and Letty Cottin Pogrebin to establish Ms. Magazine in 1971. Also, she and different ladies framed the National Women’s Political Caucus in 1972. She is additionally an honor-winning and productive author.
- Beforehand, she functioned as a journalist for New York magazine and a prime supporter of Ms. magazine. She distributed the article “After Black Power, Women’s Liberation” in 1969, and this aided her benefit public distinction as a women’s activist chief.
- Gloria additionally helped to establish the National Women’s Political Caucus which gives preparing and backing to ladies who look for chosen and designated workplaces in government in 1971. Also, she helped to establish the Women’s Media Center, an association that “attempts to make ladies apparent and strong in the media.”
Gloria Steinem Husband
Gloria is a widow, previously married to the Late David Bale, father of actor Christian Bale. Her husband died of brain lymphoma on December 30, 2003, at age 62. Prior to her marriage, she had been in a four-year relationship with the publisher Mortimer Zuckerman.
Gloria Steinem Boyfriends-Partner
Steinem’s ex-partner Mortimer Zuckerman is an American-Canadian billionaire media proprietor, magazine editor, and investor. She and her late husband never had any children together.
Gloria Steinem Children
She is the stepmother to Erin, Louise, Sharon, and Christian Bale, her late husband’s children. She does not have any biological children of her own.
Gloria Steinem Family
Leo Steinem (father) and Ruth Nuneviller (mother) born their daughter Steinem in Toledo, Ohio, and nurtured her in the same state. Gloria’s family belongs to a mixed/ German-Scottish-Jewish-German ethnicity. Her father worked as a salesman but never provided much financial stability to the family. However, her mom was a homeworker.
Gloria Steinem Father-Mother
Gloria and her family lived and traveled in a trailer, from which her father carried out his trade as a roaming antique dealer. Gloria’s mother had a nervous breakdown before welcoming her daughter to the world, which left her an invalid, trapped in delusional fantasies that occasionally turned violent.
Her mother spent long periods in and out of hospitals for the mentally ill. In 1944, when Gloria was 10 years old, her parents finally separated. Her father moved to California to find work, while she and her mother continued living together in Toledo. Gloria claims that she understood and never blamed her father for the family’s breakup.
Gloria Steinem Education
She attended Waite High School in Toledo and Western High School in Washington for her high school education. She later joined Smith College, where she received her Bachelor of Arts magna cum laude and graduated as a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
Gloria Steinem Net Worth
Gloria Steinem’s Net Worth is around an impressive US$5 Million in 2021. She has accumulated most of her wealth and riches from her career as a journalist. This is per our reliable sources at Celebrity Net Worth.
She prefers to spend her fortune on exotic private trips with her family and real estate which has proved to multiply her net worth over the years.
Gloria Steinem My Life On The Road
My life on the Road is an international bestseller book. The book was released on October 27, 2015. It is available on Amazon, Apple Books, Barnes & Noble, Google, and Kobo, in Kindle, Hardcover, and also Paperback editions. The book talks of Gloria’s life, including her childhood, her journey, and life on the road as a journalist, organizer, activist, and also as a speaker.
She also talks of her time on the campaign trail, for Bobby Kennedy and Hillary Clinton, her early exposure to social activism in India, and organizing ground-up movements in America. The book is written from the unique perspective of one of the greatest feminist icons of the 20th and 21st centuries and is an inspiring, profound, enlightening memoir of a woman’s life-long journey.
Gloria Steinem Height
Gloria measures 5’ 8”/ 1.75 m in height. Moreover, her hair color is dark brown and eye color is dark brown.
People Also Ask
- Who is Gloria Steinem? Gloria is an American feminist journalist and a social-political activist. She is widely popular as a leader and a spokeswoman for the American Feminist Movement in the 1960s and 1970s era.
- How Old Is Gloria Steinem? Steinem is 88 years of age as of 2022.
- Where Does Gloria Steinem Live? Gloria’s residence is in East 73rd Street, New York.