Richard Engel Biography
Richard Engel (age. 48) is an American journalist who presently serves as NBC’s chief foreign correspondent and hosts the MSNBC series On Assignment with Richard Engel. The New York native joined NBC News in May 2003 and formerly worked as a Middle East correspondent for BBC World Service, PRI, and WGBH.
Richard Engel Age
He was born on September 16, 1973, in New York City, New York. Engel is 48 years of age as of 2021 and will turn 49 come September 16, 2022. He celebrates his birthday on September 16 and is a member of the zodiac/ star sign Virgo.
Richard Engel NBC News-MSNBC
- Richard presently serves as NBC’s chief foreign correspondent and hosts the MSNBC series On Assignment with Richard Engel. He joined the NBC News broadcast team in May 2003. He was promoted to the position of senior Middle East correspondent and Beirut bureau chief in May 2006. NBC News named Richard its Chief Foreign Correspondent in April 2008.
- He is a well-known and prolific journalist due to his experience over the years at NBC News. Engel has reported on a variety of stories since joining NBC like; the Iraq war in Baghdad, the war between Israel and Hezbollah in Lebanon, Afghanistan’s 2009 presidential election, the Egyptian revolution, and the Libyan Civil War. He has reported on the Israel-Gaza conflict, the entire Iraq war, the war in Afghanistan, and the Arab Spring movement.
- He has extensively reported for NBC News and has often got himself in life-threatening situations. Engel has reported through tear gas, he almost got shot in Benghazi, survived kidnapping attempts in Iraq, ambushes, bombing attacks, kidnapping in Syria among others.
Richard Engel Early Career
- Richard began his journey to being a notable correspondent in the journalism industry in California. He wrote for The Stanford Daily and served as a business intern for CNN based in New York while in college. Engel served as the Middle East correspondent for BBC World Service, PRI, and WGBH between 2001 and 2003. He also reported for Reuters, USA Today, Jane’s Defence Weekly, and AFP.
- Besides reporting, Richard has authored the books; And Then All Hell Broke Loose, Defeating ISIS, War journal, and A Fist in the Hornet’s Nest: On the Ground in Baghdad Before, During & After the War Richard Engel. Engel has won notable awards like the RTNDA Edward R. Murrow Award, News & Documentary Emmy Award, a Peabody Award, Alfred I. DuPont-Columbia University Award, George Foster Peabody Award, Edward R. Murrow Award, among other several awards.
Richard Engel Family
Peter Engel (father) and Nina (mother) born their son Engel and nurtured him in New York City, USA. Engel’s family belongs to a mixed/ Jewish-Swedish ethnicity. His father partly worked as a Goldman Sachs financier whereas his mother is an entrepreneur who owned an antique store. Richard spent most of his young years on the Upper East Side of Manhattan alongside his elder brother; David Engel. Richard’s elder brother is a doctor who has specialized in cardiovascular disease.
Richard pursued a college degree in international relations between 1992 and 1996 from Stanford University. Additionally, he is an alumnus of Riverdale Country School.
Richard Engel Wife: Children-Son
Richard is presently relishing his marriage life alongside his wife Mary Forrest. The couple got hitched at New York City Hall on 29 May 2015 in a civil wedding ceremony. The beautiful couple is proud parents of two sons; Henry (b. May 2015), and Theodore (b. Aug 2019). Engel’s family residence is in New York City, New York.
Engel’s wife is a freelance producer. The adorable couple met on a Martha Stewart show in 2010. Engel has described his wife as his longtime love and girlfriend. The couple has been open to state details about their family with viewers. Engel shared a video of his son Theodore taking his first step with NBC’s Today show. Doctors diagnosed his oldest son with the rare genetic disorder Rett syndrome at birth.
Richard Engel First Wife
Before his marriage to his longtime love/ girlfriend, Engel was married to his college girlfriend. Details about his first wife are not available, however, they finalized their divorce in 2005.
Richard Engel Salary
Richard receives an average salary of $56,778 annually as an NBC reporter in New York City. This is per our reliable sources at Payscale that quote an NBC reporter’s annual salary to be around $37K – $98K. He has been on NBC’s payroll for almost two decades which also explains his huge net worth.
Engel has not revealed his exact salary, nevertheless, being the chief foreign correspondent, he receives a good amount that enables him to lead a comfortable life.
Richard Engel Net Worth
Richard Engel Net Worth is estimated to be between $1 Million and $5 Million. This is a mere approximation from his lucrative career as a journalist since he has not revealed any information about his assets, liabilities, or wealth. Regardless, we shall update it once he shares his net worth.
Richard Engel Height
Richard has not revealed his actual height, nevertheless, an average American man measures 5’ 9” / 1.75 m in height. Thus his height is around this figure.
People Also Ask
- Where Does Richard Engel Live? Engel’s family residence is in New York City, New York.
- Is Richard Engel Married? Richard is presently relishing his marriage life alongside his wife Mary Forrest.
- What Languages Does Richard Engel Speak? Italian, Arabic, Spanish, Egyptian Arabic.
- What Is Richard Engel Salary? Richard receives an average salary of $56,778 annually as an NBC reporter in New York City.
- How Tall Is Richard Engel? Richard has not revealed his actual height, nevertheless, an average American man measures 5’ 9” / 1.75 m in height. Thus his height is around this figure.